Events
Advocacy
Resources for Property Owners & Businesses
Youth
Education
Retail
Assistance
Maps & Building Data
Publications
Press
About LW!
Help Us Save the Best of the West!
Contact LW!
 
 
URGE THE LANDMARKS PRESERVATION COMMISSION TO SCHEDULE A PUBLIC DESIGNATION HEARING ON WEST-PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH! See action steps below...

 


Click here for more images

 
 
STEP 1: Send a letter to LPC Chair Robert B. Tierney. Click here for contact information.  
 
 
STEP 2: Send copies of your letter to key elected and public officials. Click here for a contact list.  
 
 
 
 
 
 

West Park Presbyterian Church
Amsterdam Avenue and 86th Street
Leopold Eidlitz (original chapel), 1884
Henry Kilburn (addition: the church), 1890

The West-Park Presbyterian Church was designed to stand out in the neighborhood - its dramatic bell tower a beacon to worshipers, and its boldly massed, red sandstone façade keeping step with the fashion of the time. Indeed, West-Park may be the only example of a Richardsonian Revival-style church to survive in Manhattan. The robust stonework and heavy round arches reflect the popularity of medieval Romanesque forms, while the use of Lake Superior red stone trimmed with Longmeadow brownstone, a magnificent material on no other known religious structures, reveals a new interest in earth-toned materials in the 1880s. These elements combine to create a building of singular power, unquestionably one of the most beautiful religious structures on the Upper West Side. West-Park began as two separate congregations that merged in order to accomodate the neighborhood's growing population. The Park Church, on West End Avenue and 84th Street, purchased the prominent corner site on 86th Street in 1882. The congregation quickly outgrew a chapel built to the east of the corner and designed by Leopold Eidlitz, one of New York's most important 19th-century architects (sadly almost all of his buildings have been demolished). Henry F. Kilburn was commissioned to design a new church, incorporating Eidlitz's chapel and recladding its façade in 1889. West-Park was formed in 1911 when Park Presbyterian Church, merged with West Presbyterian Church, then on West 42nd Street. As of this writing, the church is closed and under imminent threat of demolition.

 
Press
"On Churches, Some See Increased Preservation Effort," by Gabrielle Birkner. The New York Sun, Mar 26, 2007
 
Scholarly Research
Andrew Scott Dolkart, James Marston Fitch Associate Professor of Historic Preservation at Columbia University
Herbert Broderick, III, Associate Professor of Art at Lehman College
Katherine R. McKee
 

Letters of Support
LW!'s 2007 Letter to the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission
LW!'s 2003 Letter to the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission
Landmarks Commission Response to Request for Evaluation

 
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation's Resource Evaluation for West-Park Presbyterian Church
 
 
Public Officials to Contact

Hon. Robert B. Tierney, Chair

NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission
1 Centre Street, 9th Floor, NYC 10007
Email: comments@lpc.nyc.gov
Fax: 212-669-7955
Phone: 212-669-7888
 
Honorable Jerrold Nadler
U.S. Congressman
201 Varick Street, Suite 669 NYC 10014
Email: jerrold.nadler@mail.house.gov
Fax: 212-367-7356
Phone: 212-367-7350
 
Honorable Linda B. Rosenthal
New York State Assembly Member
230 West 72nd Street, Suite 2F, NYC 10023
Email: rosentl@assembly.state.ny.us
Fax: 212-873-6520
Phone: 212-873-6368
 
Honorable Eric T. Schneiderman
New York State Senator
80 Bennett Avenue, Ground Floor NYC 10033
Email: schneide@senate.state.ny.us
Fax: 212-928-0396
Phone: 212-928-5578
 
Honorable Scott Stringer
Manhattan Borough President
1 Centre Street, 19th Floor, NYC 10007
Email: bp@manhattanbp.org
Fax: 212-669-4900
Phone: 212-669-8300
 
Honorable Gale A. Brewer
New York City Council Member
563 Columbus Avenue, NYC 10024
Email: gale.brewer@council.nyc.ny.us
Fax: 212-873-0279
Phone: 212-873-0282
 
 
Return to LW!'s Wish List >>>