317 West 93rd Street

317 West 93rd Street


Date: 1901-1902

NB Number: NB 1074-1901

Type:  Flats

Architect:  Schneider & Herter

Developer/Owner/Builder: Schneider & Herter

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: Riverside Drive- West End Historic District

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Renaissance Revival

Primary Facade:   Beige Brick, Limestone, Roman Brick, and Terra Cotta

Stories: 7

Window Type/Material: See alterations

Structure:  Located on the north side of West 93rd Street 173 feet east of Riverside Drive, these two identical seven-story small multiple dwellings (flats) are each sixty-two and a half feet wide and dumbbell-shaped in plan. Each has eight bays and is faced with beige Roman brick with limestone and terra cotta trim. Coursed limestone faces the first story and low limestone cheek walls flank the shallow steps of the central entrances. The original iron pipe rail surrounds the recessed areaway with the original metal basement door below. The first story is marked by three arched windows with keyed limestone surrounds and acanthus keystones flanking the entrance on each side, while two two bay oriels rise from the second to the seventh stories. Two brackets with female masks support pediments between the second story oriel windows. The third story windows have projecting lintels and all but the center pair are topped by triangular pediments. Fourth-story window surrounds have Corinthian pilasters. Decorative plaques are located between the oriel windows at the fifth story. Limestone stringcourses and a modillioned metal cornice unite the two buildings.

Alterations: The glass and aluminum door, sidelights and transom are replacements and the entrance has an awning above. The wrought iron fence at the entrance is not original. White aluminum one-over-one double-hung windows replace all of the original wood-framed one-over-one sash.

History: This pair of small-scale multiple dwellings (flats) were designed and built in 1901-02 by the firm of Schneider & Herter, which acted as both architect and developer. No. 309 is known as Albert Court and No. 317 is known as Eleanor Court. Selected Reference: New York City Department of Taxes Photograph Collection, Municipal Archives and Record Collection, E 1293; C 719.

Browse Building Database

Share This