Central Park West - 76th Street Historic District

Central Park West – 76th Street (1973)

This was one of the first areas of the Upper West Side to receive landmark protection. Rowhouse construction began on 76th Street in 1887;  by 1900, 44 had been built in the district. The district retains examples of four building types common to the Upper West Side at the turn-of-the-century: A Beaux-Arts style apartment house, the Kenilworth (1906-08); the neo-Gothic Church of the Divine Paternity (now Fourth Universalist Society (1897-98)); the Classical Revival New-York Historical Society (1903-08 & 1937-38); and an artist’s residence, the Studio Building (1907-09) at 44 West 77th Street.  This new building form consisted of two-story artist’s studios and residential units.

Boundaries

Central Park West
West Side: 151-170

West 76th Street
North Side: 1-51
South Side: 2-56

West 77th Street
South Side: 44-48

Help LW!

Search Watch-Blog

Archives

Calendar

September 2021
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Categories

Let's Keep in Touch!

Let's Keep in Touch!

Want the latest news?
Care to share about something in the neighborhood?
Be the first to hear about upcoming events?

Join the LW! email list!

You're Subscribed!

Share This