Come to the hearing and testify in favor of preservation.
- Even if the LPC hasn’t responded to your request for evaluation (or especially if they haven’t), demonstrating to the Council members that ordinary New Yorkers want to preserve their communities and are crying out for help is a powerful statement. We need to show the Council that PEOPLE WANT PRESERVATION!
- If you have had work done on a landmarked property – please come in to talk about it. The Council members really don’t have any experience with actually working with LPC and will be taking everything the development industry says as gospel.
- If you are a preservation/design professional – showing up and explaining to the Council that Landmarking actually provides real value and jobs is a key thing. The narrative which they will be hearing is “landmarking costs money” and we need to shift that to “landmarking creates jobs”.
- Even if you do not want to testify, showing up with your posters/buttons/postcards/etc. is a powerful statement to the Council members.
- Use the deadline of May 2nd to send in your Requests to LPC – and make sure to copy them to your elected official. If LPC has not responded to your request, send in a reminder and copy your representative. Show your Council member that people in their district want action from the agency.
To learn more about this emergent issue, contact LW! or our colleagues mentioned above, HDC and Friends of the Upper East Side.