251 West 80th Street



251 West 80th Street


Date: 1904-1905

NB Number: NB 563-1904

Type:  Church

Architect:  Hardenbergh, Henry J.

Developer/Owner/Builder: Corporation of All Angels Church

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: placeholder

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Gothic Revival

Primary Facade:   Brick, Stone, and Terra Cotta

Stories: 4 and basement

Window Type/Material: Leaded glass transoms; leaded glass window off vestibule

Structure:Decorative Metal Work: Metal gate and transom, with mesh reinforcement, at entrance;  Stoop with stone cheek walls; deeply recessed entrance; integral porch with terra cotta floor and vaulted ceiling; possibly historic light fixtures in vestibule; possibly historic wood and glass doors and leaded glass transom; stone or terra cotta plaque with “All Angels Parish House;” possibly historic display box; stepped gables; gargoyles; possibly historic gate at basement.  Possibly historic metal fence on stone curb at areaway, one panel and gate reinforced with metal mesh; diamond plate staircase with possibly historic railing.

South Facade: Designed (historic) Stoop: Painted Porch(es): Historic Door(s): Possibly historic primary door Windows: Mixed (upper stories); possibly historic (basement) Security Grilles: Altered (basement) Roof: Pitched – slate; copper (possibly historic) Sidewalk Material(s): Concrete Curb Material(s): Stone Areaway Wall/Fence Materials: Possibly historic metal fence and gate on stone curb

East Facade: Partially designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Brick; parapet of rear extension parged; windows replaced; arcaded brick frieze; brick chimney at front, copper-clad chimney at rear; bulkhead on roof

West Facade: Partially designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Brick; stone framed segmental-arched openings and windows along vesitbule; leaded-glass at upper stories; mixed window grilles

Historic District: Riverside Drive-West End HD Extension I

Alterations: Some windows replaced; stoop railings; flag poles and banner; armature for sign; lights with conduits; postal release box (broken)

History: All Angels’ Church was founded in 1830s as a mission church by St. Michael’s Episcopal Church. The church ministered to the African-American, Irish, and German residents of Seneca Village, which was later condemned for the construction of Central Park. The church was incorporated as an independent parish in 1859 and moved to the corner of West 81st Street and West End (then Eleventh) Avenue. In the 20th century the parish grew to a complex of four buildings including a massive sanctuary but sold most of the property in the late 1970s as attendance dwindled. The parish house, which now serves as the church, is the only part of the complex that remains.  References: “A Brief History of All Angels’ Church” (http://www.allangelschurch.com/groups/1000041399/All_Angels_Church/About/History/Histor y.aspx, accessed January 27, 2012

Browse Building Database

Share This