305 West 79th Street



305 West 79th Street


Date: 1900-1901

NB Number: NB 69-1900

Type:  Garage/Stable and Synagogue

Architect:  Courland, Maurice and William B Franke

Developer/Owner/Builder: William B Franke

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: placeholder

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Classical Revival

Primary Facade:   Buff brick and Stone

Stories: 2

Window Type/Material: Stained Glass (see structure)

Structure: Significant Architectural Features: Stone water table and step; pilasters in Doric order supporting a stone entablature; second story rusticated brick; stone and brick lintels at second story; metal cornice with modillions Site Features: Standing and goose-neck pipe; diamond plate hatch; possibly historic curb cut.

South Facade: Designed (historic, altered) Stoop: Replaced Door(s): Replaced primary door; side door replaced Windows: Replaced Cornice: Historic Sidewalk Material(s): Concrete Curb Material(s): Stone

References: “Carlebach Shul-Our History,” http://carlebachshul.org/about%20us/history.htm; NYC, Department of Buildings, ALT 466-1935, ALT 2735-1941, Certificate of Occupancy 30879, April 17, 1945; Office of the Register, New York County, Deeds and Conveyances, Reel 1885, p. 1832 (June 29, 1992), correction deed Reel 3484, p. 762 (February 27, 2002); “Rabbi Naphtali Carlebach of Kehilath Jacob is Dead,” NYT, December 25, 1967, 21.

Historic District: Riverside Drive-West End HD Extension I

Alterations: Brick stoop; non-historic metal railings; doors replaced; marquee; display case; signage; stained- or colored-glass transoms and sidelights; rooftop balustrade removed; camera, alarm, lights; remote utility meter. The first story was altered in 1941 as part of the building’s conversion into a synagogue.  The first story was altered in 1941 as part of the building’s conversion into a synagogue.

History: No. 305 West 79th Street was originally built to house the laundry and garage of the New Century apartments at 401 West End Avenue. The laundry, which occupied the second story, was converted into an apartment in 1935 and six years later the garage was converted into a synagogue by the architect Maurice Courland. Congregation Kehilath Jacob, also known as the Carlebach Shul for its founding rabbi Naphtali Carlebach and his sons and successors Eli Chaim and Shlomo Carlebach, has been located at 305 West 79th Street since 1945. After renting the building for many years, the congregation purchased it in 1992.

Browse Building Database

Share This