311 West 90th Street

311 West 90th Street


Date: 1890-1891

NB Number: NB 1855-1890

Type:  Rowhouse

Architect:  Thomas J Sheridan

Developer/Owner/Builder: Sheridan & Byrne

Row Configuration: ABABA

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: Riverside Drive- West End Historic District

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Renaissance Revival

Primary Facade:   Brownstone

Stories: 4

Window Type/Material: One-over-one double-hung/Wood

Basement Type: Unknown

Stoop Type: High

Structure:  These five, four story, brownstone-faced rowhouses were built as part of a row of seven (Nos. 309-321). The houses are of varying widths: No. 309, 313 and 317 all measure twenty feet; No. 311 is nineteen feet and ten and three-quarter inches; while 319 is nineteen feet and eleven and a half inches. The houses, all designed with high stoops, step down slightly from east to west but share cornice and sill lines and string courses. The historic windows on this group were one-over-one double-hung wood sash. They remain on some of the houses in this group. Some of the houses also retain decorative wrought-iron grilles on the ground and parlor story windows. Two designs appear within the group, arranged in a rhythm of ABABA (from east to west). The A type houses, Nos. 309, 313 and 317, have rusticated ground stories, three arched openings at the parlor stories, oriels at the third stories (three sided at Nos. 309 and 317, bowed at No. 313) with Nos. 309 and 313 retaining leaded glass transoms, and a pediment above the center window openings at the fourth stories.

The B type houses, Nos. 311 and 315, were designed with rusticated ground and parlor stories. At the third and fourth stories, smooth brownstone pilasters flank the window openings.

Historic District: Riverside Drive- West End HD

Alterations: The stoop has been removed and a new basement level entrance created. New window openings were created at the parlor story (now the second story) and the front wall resurfaced in brownstone stucco. A wrought iron fence fronts the areaway. All windows are covered with storm windows. Ivy covers the entire building. 1945: Alt 33-1945 [Source: Alteration Application] Stoop removed, new entrance created at basement level; new window openings at parlor story. Architect — Harold Sterner Owner — Raphael Meisels

History: These houses were designed by Thomas J. Sheridan as part of a row of seven (Nos. 309-321) and built in 1891 by developers Sheridan & Byrne. Nos. 319 and 321 were demolished in 1929 for the construction of the apartment building now located at No. 319-325. Selected Reference: New York City Department of Taxes Photograph Collection, Municipal Archives and Record Collection, C 734; I 2468-18.

Search the Building Database


Browse San Juan Hill


Result of filter: 1

Architects: All Architects
Building Type: All Building Type
Date Built: All Date Built
Historic Districts: All Historic Districts
Landmark Status: All Landmark Status
Primary Facade: All Primary Facade
Primary Style: All Primary Style
Streets: All Streets
Wish List?: All Wish List?
Share This