340 West 85th Street, AKA 336-340 West 85th Street

340 West 85th Street


Date: 1926-1927

NB Number: NB 119-1926

Type:  Club Building and Dwelling

Architect:  George B deGersdorff

Developer/Owner/Builder: Three Arts Club

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: Riverside Drive – West End Historic District Extension I

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Colonial Revival

Primary Facade:   Brick and Stone

Stories: 8

Window Type/Material: SIx-over-Six; See Structure

Structure:  Significant Architectural Features: High stone water table base; historic arched central entrance flanked by Corinthian columns supporting a denticulated hood featuring a sign the name ”Volunteers Of America”; a stone band runs the width of the building and marks transition between first and second stories; center bay window at second story features pedimented stone window surround with scroll bracketed sill and a iron balconette; all windows are six-over-six with flat keystone arches and stone sills; stone banding runs the width of building at eighth story; the building is topped by stone cornice; Special Windows: Fanlight transom over main entrance; Decorative Metal Work: Iron balconette over entrance

Site Features: Metal access hatch under middle bay window at east facade, and metal grille vents at basement windows; stairs down to service alley at west facade

North Facade: Designed (historic) Door(s): Possibly historic primary door Windows: Replaced (upper stories); possibly historic (basement) Security Grilles: Possibly historic (basement) Cornice: Historic Sidewalk Material(s): Concrete Curb Material(s): Stone East Facade: Not designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Brick facade West Facade: Not designed (historic) Facade Notes: Brick facade

Notable History and Residents: The Three Arts Club was founded in 1904 by Jane Harris Hall, the club was organized for young women studying music, drama, and the fine arts. When the club opened its building at 340 West 85th Street in 1927 it contained a large auditorium named in honor of Emily V. Hammond, and a library that was a gift of Frederick Vanderbilt, named in honor of Louise Anthony Vanderbilt, as well as private rooms for as many as 153 students, and sleeping quarters for club members. Among the tenants was the famous actress Ruth Gordon. Since 1953 the Volunteers of America has owned the building and run it as a residence for business women. Read the social history here!

Alterations: Through-wall air conditioners at all windows at the first and second stories; nonhistoric light fixtures at first story; non-historic signage above entrance


Browse Building Database

Share This