Landmark West’s Youth Education Program
Explore the buildings in the neighborhood surrounding your school and discover the different components that make up a community.
Students design and map their own “ideal” communities, act as official surveyors as they take a walking tour of the neighborhood, and create a streetscape model of the local community.
- gain knowledge of the architectural structures that form their community
- consider the layout and design of urban neighborhoods
- using a checklist of building types, survey the buildings in the blocks surrounding their school and discover why particular neighborhoods have more or less of certain types of buildings
- use knowledge of local structures and architecture
- create building façades which, when grouped together, will form a neighborhood mode.
Tour your neighborhood and design your own community
Create a brownstone facade and streetscape model
Compose poems based on neighborhood buildings
Tour a site and observe differences between the past and present
Explore architecture up close and design a contextual facade
To inquire about having your school partner with Keeping the Past for the Future, please contact
45 West 67th Street
New York, NY 10023