264-66 West 96th Street between Broadway and West End Avenue (IRT Electrical Substation No. 14)

264-66 West 96th Street between Broadway and West End Avenue
(IRT Electrical Substation No. 14)

 

Date: 1904

Type:  Powerhouse

Architect:  Hunter, Paul C.

Developer/Owner/Builder:  New York City

Primary Style:  Beaux-Arts

Primary Facade:   Limestone

Wish List:  Current Wish List

IRT Substation No. 14 is one of eight original substations that powered New York City’s early subway system. The substations conveyed electrical currents to the subway tracks and lighting and signal systems from the 59th Street Powerhouse. IRT architect Paul C. Hunter designed all of the substations with identical Beaux-Arts facades, reflecting City Beautify ideals, which sought urban improvement through architecture and public works. With its banded limestone base, two large arched doors, sets of tripartite windows, terra-cotta details, and decorative cornice supported by large brackets, the facade of Substation No. 14 create a screen between the industrial function of the building and the residential street lined with apartment buildings and shops.

Filter by

Search the Building Database

Results

Result of filter: 1

Architects: All Architects
Building Type: All Building Type
Date Built: All Date Built
Historic Districts: All Historic Districts
Landmark Status: All Landmark Status
Primary Facade: All Primary Facade
Primary Style: All Primary Style
Streets: All Streets
Wish List?: All Wish List?

Browse

Share This