153-159 West 64th Street (Transport Hall)
Block: 1136 Lot: 11
Street: West 64th Street
Date of Construction:
NB Permit: 302-1921 (?)
Architect: Haefeli, Walter
Style: Renaissance Revival
Owner: Society of Professional Automobile Engineers of the U.S.
# Lodgers, Boarders or Roomers: 19
# Lodgers, Boarders or Roomer Immigrants: 5
Countries: France, Holland, and Ireland
Notes: 8-story (in original permit) clubhouse, perhaps later changed to 4-story
Replaced rowhouses built here in 1887 per RER&BG 04/09/1887 p. 503. In 1910, there was a significant Puerto Rican presence at this earlier building. See NB 1032-1906 by William B. Tuthill for 6-story sanitarium.
Images Courtesy NYC Municipal Archive.