253 West 93rd Street



253 West 93rd Street


Date: 1897

NB Number: NB 152-1897

Type:  Rowhouse

Architect:  Pelham, George F.

Developer/Owner/Builder: Alexander Walker

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: Riverside Drive- West End Historic District

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Georgian Revival

Primary Facade:   Beige Brick, Limestone, and Roman Brick

Stories: 5

Window Type/Material: One-over-one double-hung/Wood

Basement Type: Raised

Stoop Type: Unknown

Structure:  These two five story houses on raised basements are faced in beige Roman brick and limestone and still retain their original stoops with carved limestone newel posts. No. 253 is nineteen feet wide and No. 255 is eighteen feet wide. Both houses also retain their original glass and wood double doors. The basements, to the west of each stoop, are faced with coursed limestone. All of the windows retain their original one-over-one double-hung wood sash. The buildings share a common fourth story sill course, and the modillioned metal cornices atop the fifth story of each house vary only slightly in design.

No. 253 has a carved limestone entrance surround capped by a frieze with fruit festoons. The second story is distinguished by a tripartite window divided by two mullions with carved panels, while the third and fourth stories each contain two window openings with limestone surrounds and splayed lintels, respectively. The fifth story contains a set of three windows. Brick quoins run up the edges of the house. Eastern Elevation: The eastern elevation is red brick laid in common bond and has no significant architectural features.

Historic District: Riverside Drive- West End HD

Alterations: A stone wall has been constructed in front of the areaway. Fire balconies shared by the two buildings have been added. Storm windows have been installed at the first through the fourth stories. Two recent light fixtures are placed at the door.

History: Designed by the prolific New York architect George F. Pelham, these houses were originally part of a row of four built in 1897 for Alexander Walker. Nos. 257 and 259 were demolished in 1929 for the Free Son Temple located next door to the west. Selected Reference: New York City Department of Taxes photograph Collection, Municipal Archives and Record Collection, G 2032.

Browse Building Database

Share This