265 West 81st Street

The Beverly

  • 265 West 81st Street A
  • 265 West 81st Street D
  • 265 West 81st Street C
  • 265 West 81st Street B



265 West 81st Street


Date: 1899-1900

NB Number: NB 569-1899

Type:  Flats

Architect:  Lamb & Rich

Developer/Owner/Builder: Fireproof Apartment Company

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: placeholder

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Beaux-Arts

Primary Facade:   Limestone and Roman Brick

Stories: 9

Window Type/Material: See structure

Stoop Type: Unknown

Structure:  Special Windows: Segmental-arched window over entrance with decorative mullions Decorative Metal Work: Historic metal fences and gates Significant Architectural Features: Two story rusticated, limestone base with rusticated portico supporting a balcony; entrance with Ionic columns in antis supporting a carved stone entablature; segmental-arched window with carved mullions; cartouche; fourth to seventh stories with rusticated stone pilasters and elaborate pendants; eighth story rusticated stone; cornice/balcony supported by paired brackets and modillions.

South Facade: Designed (historic) Stoop: Replaced stoop (possibly historic gate under stoop) Door(s): Replaced primary door; basement door replaced Windows: Replaced (upper stories); not visible (basement) Security Grilles: Not historic (upper stories) Cornice: Historic Sidewalk Material(s): Concrete Curb Material(s): Concrete with metal nosing Areaway Wall/Fence Materials: Historic metal fence Areaway Paving Material: Concrete

East Facade: Partially designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Brick, one bay rusticated, rest parged, painted and/or replaced; stone sills; windows replaced; non-historic grilles first story; metal vent between buildings

West Facade: Not designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Brick painted; windows replaced; vents in wall; water tank on tower

North Facade: Not designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Brick painted; windows replaced, one bay of windows altered; fire escape; full height metal chimney

Historic District: Riverside Drive-West End HD Extension I

Alterations: : Facade cleaned and/or repointed; doors and windows replaced; balcony above eighth story patched, railing removed; stuccoed bulkhead and cell phone antennas on roof; intercom and lights at entrance; pipes and remote utility meter in basement

History:  Originally built with two apartments per floor, in 1933 the number of dwelling units was doubled as each apartment was reconfigured into two apartments. As early as the 1920 census, enumerators recorded that households, usually those headed by single women, were sharing their apartments with boarders and lodgers. References: NYC, Department of Buildings, ALT 805-1933; U. S. Census records, 1920 and 1930

Browse Building Database

Share This