309-311 West 92nd Street

309-311 West 92nd Street


Date: 1905

NB Number: NB 272-1905

Type:  Rowhouse

Architect:  Rich, Charles A.

Developer/Owner/Builder: C T Root

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: Riverside Drive- West End Historic District

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Georgian Revival

Primary Facade:   Limestone and Red Brick

Stories: 5

Window Type/Material: Six-over-one double-hung/Wood

Basement Type: American

Structure:  Located on the north side of West 92nd Street 100 feet west of West End Avenue, this five story red brick house with limestone trim is fifty feet wide. The American basement type entrance, at the center, emphasized by a limestone portico with Ionic columns supporting a balcony above, contains the original oak and glass arched double doors. Three sided metal oriels with leaded transoms flank the entrance. Limestone newel posts with ball finials flank the limestone steps, and stone walls supporting the original wrought iron fence with cast finials and brick posts enclose the areaway. One basement window at the east retains its original wrought iron grille. The second and third stories each have five window openings with limestone sills, splayed lintels, and keystones, containing six-over-one double-hung wood sash windows. The dentilled iron cornice above features mutule blocks. The gabled roof contains three pedimented dormers ornamented with carved wooden festoons. The roofline is capped by a cast-stone balustrade.

Historic District: Riverside Drive- West End HD

Alterations: The portico has been painted gray and is topped with a recent wrought iron balustrade. The lower portion of the oriel windows have recent wrought iron grilles. An entrance door, a recent light fixture, and a window with storm sash have been added below the oriel to the west. The roof is covered in black asphalt shingles and has had two skylights installed in it; the dormers now contain casement windows. The multi paned glass rooftop addition was added in 1923. 1923: Alt 821-1923 [Source: Alteration Application] Rooftop addition was added to create a recreation room. A fifth story addition was created. Architect — I. Henry Glaser Owner — Mary E. Calhoun,& Ella C. Levis

History: Designed by Charles A Rich, a partner of Iamb & Rich, this single family house was built in 1905 for Charles Towner Root. Root was a publisher active in the textile and dry goods trade. His father, George Frederick Root, wrote “Tramp, Tramp, Tramp” and other Civil War songs. Rich was responsible for two other houses in the district, Nos. 253 and 255 West 91st Street. He resided at 253 West 91st Street. In 1923 the building was converted to the “The Calhoun School” for women. In 1976 it became the home of the West Side Montessori School which is still the occupant. Selected Reference: New York City Department of Taxes Photograph Collection, Municipal Archives and Record Collection, E 1293.

Browse Building Database

Share This