320 West 77th Street


320 West 77th Street


Date: 1891-92

NB Number: NB 955-91 (Alt. 861-42)

Type:  Rowhouse

Architect:  Mott, Charles T.

Developer/Owner/Builder: Perez M. Stewart

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: West End – Collegiate Historic District

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  None

Primary Facade:   Brick, Brownstone, and rusticated brownstone

Stories: 4 with basement

Elements: Four-story rowhouse with basement; one-over-one double-hung wood sash windows; originally probably similar to No. 318, with rusticated brownstone basement and first floor, and brick upper stories.

Historic District: West End - Collegiate HD

Alterations: 1942: facade stripped and resurfaced with brownstone stucco; stoop and cornice removed and entry relocated to basement. Storm windows installed at first (parlor), third and fourth floors; wrought-iron areaway railings and second floor window guards added.

History: Built as one of a row of 13 houses (Nos, 308-332; Nos. 314 and 316 demolished ca. 1924); William Barron was the first resident of this building from 1892 to 1906. Leopold Auer, a violin virtuoso, resided at No. 320 from 1920 until 1982. Auer was born in Hungary and served as court soloist for three Russian czars/tsars and in the Imperial Conservatory at Petrograd.

References: New. York City, Department of Buildings, Manhattan, Plans, Permits and Dockets.  Who’s Who, 1929. New York Times, July 16, 1930, p.23, “Leopold Auer” (obituary).

Browse Building Database

Share This