329 West 108th Street (aka 327-329 West 108th Street)



329 West 108th Street (aka 327-329 West 108th Street)


Date: 1899

NB Number: NB 136-1899

Type:  Rowhouse

Architect:  Graham, Thomas

Developer/Owner/Builder: William Van Wyck Graham

NYC Landmarks Designation:  Historic District

Landmark Designation Report: Riverside Drive– West End Historic District Extension II

National Register Designation: N/A

Primary Style:  Beaux-Arts

Primary Facade:   Brick and Limestone

Stories: 6 and penthouse

Structure:  Significant Architectural Features: Left building (no. 329): smooth ashlar limestone base with red brick upper stories; three story rounded in left bay, two story angled oriel in right bay; short stair with stone knee wall leads to primary entrance, which features portico with columns and entablature with wreath ornament; iron and glass double leaf door with transom; entrance flanked by oval windows with radiating leaded glazing and molded surrounds with cartouches; rounded bay features molded limestone window enframements, angled oriel with terra cotta piers, keystoned window lintels, and topped with terra cotta cornice; beltcourses between stories; fourth story feature windows grouped under unified enframements with ornamented piers, columns, and cartouche ornament; modillioned cornice; fifth story dormers with triangular pediments. Right building (no. 327): similar to no. 329; three story rounded bay; rusticated limestone base; second story features limestone balconette supported on scrolled brackets, broken pediment terra cotta window surround; and limestone roundel ornament with cherub and cartouche; third and fourth stories feature limestone niche, ornate window enframements, and spandrel with high relief angel sculpture; Decorative Metal Work: Oval windows with radiating leading flanking entrance

Building Notes: Originally two double-width row houses, now combined into one structure on one tax lot (condo conversion in 1983); built as part of a row of seven dwellings at 317 to 329 West 108th Street; illustration of the row, showing original mansard roof on nos. 327 and 329, appears in the Real Estate Record and Guide 64:676 (November 4, 1899)

South Facade: Designed (historic, ground floor painted) Stoop: Resurfaced Door(s): Historic primary door Windows: Replaced (upper stories); replaced (basement); Security Grilles: Historic (upper stories); historic (basement) Cornice: Original Sidewalk Material(s): Concrete Curb Material(s): Granite Areaway Wall/Fence Materials: Non-historic iron fence with stone curb Areaway Paving Material: Concrete with concrete steps to basement

West Facade: Designed (historic) (partially visible) Facade Notes: Fully articulated side facade; two two story angled oriel windows; ground floor window openings with keystone lintels, upper stories with full enframements; fourth story round arched window openings; modillioned cornice

Historic District: Riverside-West End Historic District Extension II

Alterations: Rooftop addition, fifth story mansard roof largely altered, retaining dormers, sixth story and penthouse added; entrance in right building, the former no. 327, converted to window


Browse Building Database

Share This